To hear more on what others think about our heifers, click here!
Genetics: The goal of Deer Creek Cattle Co. is to make high-quality genetics available to the commercial cattleman.
- All heifers come from reputable herds with known genetics.
- All heifers are crossbred to maximize the benefits of heterosis and maternal characteristics.
- The AI sires used to breed these heifers have proven track records and accuracy for calving ease and birth weight and are considered to be among the top sires in their respective breeds.
Fertility: Research strongly indicates that fertility is hereditary.
- More than 90% of the heifers were born as a result of AI or were born in the first 30 days of their mother’s calving period.
- Over 70% of the heifers are AI bred, and over 90% settled AI or during the first cycle they were pasture exposed to bulls, increasing the odds that they will repeatedly calve early while in the herd.
Vaccination Protocol: A comprehensive vaccination program has been administered under the advice and guidance of the Deer Creek Cattle Company veterinarian.
- All heifers have been Calfhood vaccinated against Brucellosis (Bangs).
- All heifers have been vaccinated and boostered for IBR, BVD, PI 3, BRSV, Leptospirosis (5- way), Vibriosis, and 7-Way Clostridia (Blackleg).
- To protect against pregnancy loss, 60 days prior to breeding all heifers were vaccinated against Leptospirosis (5-way) and Vibriosis. A booster vaccination was given 30 days prior to breeding.
- All heifers have been treated multiple times for external and internal parasites.
- All heifers have been tested and guaranteed negative for BVD-PI.
- All heifers have been examined for adequate pelvic area and deemed to be able to calve easily.
- All heifers have been tract scored for reproductive maturity and deemed ready to breed.
- All heifers were pregnancy tested 90 days post-breeding to distinguish between those AI and those pasture bred
- A confirmation pregnancy examination will be performed within 30 days of sale. Another booster vaccination against Leptospirosis will also be administered. Consequently, all heifers will be guaranteed bred for 30 days after the sale.
- Most heifers were born in fescue country and adapted to fescue in early grazing.
- All heifers have been developed on a forage-based, high-fiber, palatable diet.
- All heifers have been grazing fescue since they were bred and supplemented with bi-products as necessary based on pasture conditions.
- All heifers are born in January, February, and March ; they are bred at approximately 15 months of age and will calve at approximately 24 months of age.
Docility: An important and necessary consideration.
- All heifers were selected based on disposition.
- Throughout the development process, any heifer showing signs of nervousness, attitude, or aggression was culled from the group
- The heifers are handled with minimum stress and interact with humans during feeding in order to further develop docility.
A STEP AHEAD in HEIFER DEVELOPMENT
Our faith in Heterosis is the foundation of DC3’s Elite Criteria, demanding superior performance. Above and beyond the high standards set for all DC3 heifers, only the most fertile and maternal claim TM fame.
She Has to be a Crossbred to be TM
* All eligible heifers come from reputable herds with known genetics and are crossbred to maximize the benefits of heterosis and maternal characteristics.
She Has to Be Ready to be TM
* All Elite heifers are examined for adequate pelvic area to ensure the potential for calving ease.
* They are reproductive tract scored for maturity and deemed ready to breed.
She Has to Breed Early to be TM
* Elite heifers are born as a result of AI or are born in the first 30 days of their mother’s calving period.
* They either settle AI or during the first cycle when pasture exposed to bulls, increasing the odds that they will repeatedly calve early while in the herd.
She Has to Breed to the Right Bull to be TM
*The AI sires used to breed these heifers have proven track records and accuracy for calving ease and birth weight and are considered to be among the top sires in their respective breeds.